Wouldn’t Change a Thing

By Jessica Lin


On October 10th, I went into my obstetrician’s office at 12:00pm for a membrane sweep (I was 37 weeks and 4 days and my obstetrician wanted to induce by 38 weeks). When my obstetrician did the cervical check, I was already 4cm dilated but I didn’t feel any contractions. She did the membrane sweep and said I would likely see her at the hospital that night! Later that afternoon, I started feeling mild cramps but I wasn’t sure what it was so I called the Assessment line at BC Women’s at 7:00pm and they suggested that I come to the hospital to get checked out.


My husband and I arrived at the hospital at 8:00pm and my cramps were getting stronger. My obstetrician came to see me at 8:30pm for a cervical check and I was already 6cm dilated when she broke my water. After that, we went to the delivery room and waited for the anesthesiologist for the epidural. In the meantime, my husband did hand massages for me, which was a great distraction from the contractions.


The anesthesiologist did the epidural at 10:45pm and my obstetrician came in for another cervical check at 11:50pm and I was 10cm dilated. We started doing some practice pushes. The first epidural didn’t work since I could still feel everything, so another epidural was redone at 12:15am.


Hi, my name is Jessica and I’m from Vancouver. My husband and I were enrolled in the summer prenatal class in June 2017. Since then, we’ve had our two fraternal twin boys in October. They are now five weeks old and we are adjusting to life as new parents to these two amazing babies. We have been busy but enjoying the snuggles!

At 2:05am, I started pushing, but I couldn’t feel any contractions so I just pushed

when I was advised to. After an hour of pushing, Baby A didn’t descend and was face up. The doctors tried manually turning his head twice but weren’t able to. At 3:30am, my obstetrician said that they could either try to use rotational forceps for the delivery of Baby A or a c-section. We decided to go ahead with the c-section because it was the most predictable and safest option for us. Within the hour, Baby A and Baby B were both delivered and I was able to stay awake and do skin-to-skin with them. Although it was not what we expected, we wouldn’t change our experience, and are very happy to have two healthy baby boys.


Advice for new parents of twins: Breastfeeding can be a challenge, try to get an appointment with the lactation consultation at the hospital. Don’t be afraid to ask and accept help. Take lots of photos and enjoy your time with your newborns, they change so quickly every day!



Leave a reply

All Rights Reserved © 2018 Childbearing Society | Legal & Privacy